We arrived yesterday in Manchester and made our way to Wellington St West in Salford - which is the city that is right next to the City of Manchester. Wellington St West is where Pete and Rose live - friends of my parents who are kindly hosting us- and it is also where my parents lived prior to their antipodean relocation.
Staying with people who knew my parents led to lots of great stories. Like the time 'Kenny' got drunk watching the cricket and fell asleep under a table with a New Zealand flag draped over him. Oh how I can relate.
And it was cool seeing where Dad was from. Lots of red brick - that is a very true cliche.
I could see straight away why Dad and Pete were such good friends. Guardian paper on the breakfast table, Chambers dictionary on the bookshelf, Leonard Cohen on the stereo….
This is a picture of Dad destroying Pete and Rose's old bomb shelter in the mid 80s. LOVED looking at old photos.
And heres me, not far from where Dad once wielded that sledge hammer.
Aaaaand heres me having a drink at the Star Inn. The pub where my parents met. And spent most of there lives is sounds like. Other locals there had heard of 'Kenny' - that red headed bloke who liked cricket. Awesome.
Just before we left a guy turned up who was that drummer for a Joy Division tribute band called Joy Diversion. That ruled.
First night in Salford=great success.
x
(I have my laptop all the time but not internet all the time - so I will post them when I can. Also - having severe computer issues. I think its on its last legs. Could everyone cross their fingers for its safe passage.)
No comments:
Post a Comment