Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Greenock and The Flying Duck.

Wow. What a hole that place was.
I went out to Greenock yesterday for a bit of history. Its a town 40mins by train west of Glasgow. Was probably quite ritzy at the height of its shipbuilding but alas, out went the ships, in came the chavs.
I did play on the microfiche at the James Watt Library and read some cool stuff in the Greenock papers about the early settlers in Dunedin. Fun fun.
I was going to try and find the house where my great grandmother was born, but it was raining and the place was depressing me so I didn't in the end.
A view down the Clyde - this is where many of our ancestors would have stood before boarding ships and sailing for 90 days to the fair shores of Aotearoa.This is the customs office - this building would have been exactly the same when the first Otago settlers boarded the ships.

It was a grey and rather foul day for it unfortunately. Much nicer weather in Glasgow when I got back. Went to Jacqui's for some delicious dahl, then out to the Flying Duck for some pints and some music.
DJ Lyall at the decks. He finds my accent most amusing when I refer to his decks.
The Flying Duck has free toast! The BEST idea ever.
Jess and Connah. :)
I've been to the Louvre, I've been to the Tate Modern.... but nothing beats this.

The Flying Duck rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment