Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Election.

The British election is next week. As of a few days ago I am officially registered to vote. How exciting. So far these are my observations:

- I have no idea how or where to vote yet. No little orange man here.
- In my everyday wanderings around my area and in the city, the only electoral ads I've seen are a couple of pithy posters in the windows of people's home. Such as a neighbour of mine with a home made SNP banner in his window. Printed it out himself probably.
- The electoral ads I have seen have been alien. For an example, google 'Eddie Izzard' and 'Labour'. So bizarre. Nothing like it at home.
- I have no idea who the candidates are in my area. I don't know their names, party affiliation, anything. The first time I see their names will probably be on the ballot.
- I cannot find polling data that explains how constituencies are dealt with in the polls. If the polls are representative of popular vote, then in an FPP system they mean nothing... confusion.
- No one seems to care that their vote is unlikely to count for much or that in Scotland they are likely to be unrepresented in the next Government at all.
- Everyone (media and public) seems to associate the phrase 'proportional representation' with 'instability' and 'anarchy'. Rarely with exception.
- Nick Clegg said today that if there is a hung parliament he might come to some agreement with the Conservatives. Huh?
- I have heard many random members of the general public, including a taxi driver, a shop keeper and a security guard all say variations of the following thing: 'Don't plan to vote myself; all as bad as each other.'
- The BNP may win a seat or two... British citizens electing a couple of holocaust denying racists? Good one.

Apathy is viral. My attention is waning.
Thinking a protest vote is the only option. I don't live here after all. Maybe I can add to the Green's 0.2%, they sure could use the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment